Monday, July 15, 2013

A Week of Learning and Growing

Family,

This was another great week! I had my first exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders this week. For some reason I thought that there was no way I would be left alone on the exchanges. I mean, I thought that I would probably be with one of my other companions and one Sister Training Leader. That wasn't the case. I stayed by myself with Sister Bennett in Agoura Hills. I was so nervous to stay alone and in our area because I barely know the people here and I have no idea how to get around. It ended up being an amazing experience and it wasn't at all like I feared! I was afraid that I would have the hardest time trying to read the maps of the area and we would get lost, but that wasn't the case. I was definitely put in the situation that would test me the most but I absolutely loved it! I learned so much from Sister Bennett. She is such a great example of how to be friendly, bold, and persistent. I have learned that I am fairly bold and friendly, but that I often just take no for an answer. If someone doesn't want to talk to me I usually just say "Okay, here's a (mormon.org) card and call us if you have any questions or need service" and then walk away. She taught me how to be much more persistent and that is something that I desperately needed. I realized that Jesus Christ would be more persistent in sharing this priceless gospel. I have realized that since I act in His name, I need to treat people like He did and especially teach like He did. I learned so much on this exchange and I specifically learned how to listen and be persistent.

This week we taught and saw a lot of people, but I want to talk about three of them. This week we saw an investigator named David. He is in his 60's, he is Jewish, and never lets us in to talk to him. He has talked to the missionaries for about 6 months now and we meet with him every Friday and talk to him on his porch. He has been somewhat difficult because he refuses to pray, have faith, or come to church. We try to teach him but he usually just asks us question after question about things he has heard about the church. We met with him again on Saturday and he seemed different! He was more humble this time and seemed like he was letting what we were teaching him sink in a little bit. He said he would be at church the next day and guess what, he came! We were so excited to see him because we knew that if he came to church, he would be able to feel the spirit and get some sort of answer. He showed his faith by coming to church and it was the perfect sacrament meeting for him to be at. The messages in that meeting were wonderful and the spirit was so strong.  Even though it was just a baby step for him to come to church, it was a step in the right direction!

We also met with a lady named Rose. This was the first time I have ever met her because we have been trying to visit her for a while but she has never been home. We just stopped by her house and she was home so she let us in! We taught her about The Doctrine of Christ and invited her to come to church on Sunday. She really liked the lesson because she said that it really wasn't any different that what she had learned growing up. She came to church too! She has met with the missionaries a few times but this was her first time at church. She is just a sweet, wonderful lady and we are excited to see her again this week.

We also saw an investigator named Betty. This was the first time we have met with her and it went really well. We had ran into her before on our way to an appointment, talked to her, and gave her a Book of Mormon. We finally were able to meet with her and it was a great experience. We taught her about the restoration of the gospel and she told us "I just feel really good.". We told her that that is the spirit telling her what we are teaching is true. She is another great woman but the sad thing is she is bilingual and would rather have the lessons in Spanish, so we referred her to the hermanas and we probably won't see her again.. :(

Shannon, her husband Logan, and her son Jacob. They are such a sweet little family!

It was also Shannon's baptism this Saturday!! We were seriously so excited for her! She is such a wonderful woman and has made big changes in her life! She seriously has the cutest family and is such a sweet person. It was sad because so many people from the ward were out of town this weekend so not a lot of people were able to make it. The baptism was perfect though and it was so sweet that her husband Logan was able to baptize her! It was another completely amazing baptismal service.

Mom, this one's for you!

Overall, life is wonderful here in Agoura Hills! It has been hard and hot at times but I surprisingly have been able to have such a great attitude no matter what. I love it here, I love the members, and I love my companions. This week has been a week of learning and growing and I absolutely loved it!


A sweet lady Sister Perryman got us some things to always remember her and Agoura Hills

Fun facts: There are so many Jewish people here it is crazy! I have never met so many Jewish people in my life. Also the Bachelor mansion is in my area. That's how nice this area is! Also, Justin Bieber and a lot famous people live in Calabassas. Our area covers part of Calabassas so maybe we can visit him! hahaha. My area covers Oak Park, Agoura Hills, part of West Lake, and Calabassas. As I always say, it is so beautiful here!

So much love,
Sister Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment