Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Birthday Girl!

FAMMMILY

Sad news. Our apartment had fleas. Yes, like the little bugs that dogs get. Sister Casper and I got bitten like crazy by those little stinkers and have been almost going insane from being so itchy. Hahah oh well we have tried to just laugh it off! Our mission apartment coordinator told us that we win an award because our apartment is the first to get fleas! So major bonus on that. We have been trying to have great attitudes anyways even though we have been going crazy a little bit.

Wanna see our flea bites?
This week has been a very exciting week. First of all, we had exchanges this week and I was so blessed to be back with Sister Bennett and to go to Ventura. I absolutely love Sister Bennett and she is a great example of a missionary. 
I love Sister Bennett. She is one of my favorite people out here!
While on exchanges I wanted to work on extending commitments to everyone we talk to or meet with. I learned so much more about how important it is to leave anyone we come in contact with with something to read or do. After all, our job is to cry repentance to everyone we meet! I learned how to become more comfortable extending commitments, how to create immediate connections with people, and how to  teach children. Sister Bennett is wonderful at striking up conversations with strangers and making them feel comfortable talking to her. She showed me how to be more friendly with complete strangers. We also were able to visit a less-active family with many young children so it was a great opportunity to learn how to teach younger children and how to capture their attention. 
 
Sister Bennett bet me a meal at Habit Burger that I would be training this transfer.
I won so she bought me lunch on our exchange.
Also, we went to Habit Burger for lunch in Ventura and we were able to meet up with Sister Randall and her companion for an early birthday lunch! It was so tasty and so good to see Sister Randall again!

The sweet reunion with Sister Randall
 Also I had a wonderful birthday! Sister Casper and I decked out our apartment with all the things Mom sent me. Sister Casper also made me a cute birthday card and treated me to Panda Express for lunch! 

Your favorite birthday girl! hahaha

Afterwards we went to Sweet XO (this really delicious frozen yogurt/ice cream/desserts/candy shop and boutique) for some birthday treats. It was so good and such a great lunch trip. After that, it was a pretty typical day but it was a great birthday anyways!

Yummy birthday treats from Sweet XO
This week we were able to meet with one of our investigators. She is absolutely wonderful. She has the best answers to our questions and she is willing to do anything we invite her to do. I was surprised because when we started talking to her, we asked if she would be able to come to church on Sunday and she said she would and that she is going to start requesting all Sundays off of work. Wow. She is so great! We haven't even taught her about keeping the sabbath day holy but she already is willing to give up many things in order for her to come closer to Christ. The sad news about her is that she lives outside our area but attends our ward with her boyfriend. We at first were told that we could still teach her but now it turns out we won't be able to. It was a major bummer because we absolutely love her and are always so excited to meet with her. She is planning on being baptized August 31st so Sister Casper and I are a little sad that we won't even be able to attend her baptism. Oh well, that's life. There are a million other wonderful people in Agoura so we just have to go out and find them!

My beautiful area, Agoura Hills
We also met with another one of our investigators. We came over to her house and taught her about prophets, keeping the sabbath day holy, and the 10 commandments. She is great because she is such a spiritual person so she seems to know almost everything about every religion. She knew a lot about prophets already and was willing to find out for herself if there is a prophet on the earth today. We finally were able to set her with a baptismal date of September 14th so that was very exciting! She has some issues though because she has schizophrenia and is uncomfortable in social situations. It has been a struggle to get her to come to church. She has come once before but we will keep trying all we can because we know how much attending church and receiving personal revelation there can bless her life!

I have been trying to learn how to show my personality while also being a dignified missionary. That was surprisingly hard for me because when I came out of the MTC, I tried to be very plain in fear that I may do something or say something not completely missionary appropriate. I have learned more how to be a missionary version of myself. I think I have been able to find a balance where I am starting to feel my personality coming back!

Ventura Beach!
Sister Casper and I have been a great team out here in Agoura. She is so laid back so we really get along well together. This week has been a lot better because we are better at teaching in unity and we both know the area a lot better. She is a great missionary and very hardworking so it has been wonderful to work together.

I have been loving every second of my mission. The work here is so special to me and I am so lucky to share with people everyday the things that I know and the things I hold dear! It is amazing how much I have been blessed as a missionary. I am surprised how Heavenly Father trusts me with His work but I guess he really does call the weak and simple to do his work. I have learned so much in the past 2 months that I could not have learned otherwise. It is already going by so fast so I can't wait to see what else is in store for me here!

So so much love,
Sister Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment