Monday, June 23, 2014

Sister Training Leader

Family,

Today I found out that I will be staying here in my ward in Simi, but SISTER SNOW will now be my companion and we will both be Sister Training Leaders! I really can't believe that I will be serving again with Sister Snow! I am really excited to start this adventure with my MTC companion. She is an incredible missionary. I am excited for the time that I will be able to spend with her again!
 
Sister Snow and I were companions in the MTC
and a year later we get to be companions again!
 
To be honest, I was a little nervous when I found out that I would be a Sister Training Leader. I initially was worried about how I am going to be able to deal with my migraines and all the new things that will be expected of me. I was assigned to read the leadership section in our missionary white handbook and I really enjoyed it this time around. One verse (1 Cor. 12:22) explained how I felt at first. It says "those members of the body which seem to be more feeble, are necessary". That is how I feel with my physical trials, but reading through the rest of the section really gave me strength. I know that I will have to deal with my headaches, but I can love others, I can support others, I can be happy, and I can work hard! At least I know how to do those things, and I know that everything else will fall in place.

Me and Sister De Vries on our district hike

I know that my time with Sister DeVries has really prepared me for this assignment. She has a learning disability, so she reads, writes, and understands things really slowly. It was a struggle at first, but I learned how to revolve everything I do around her. It has been a blessing to me to be able to work with her.  I have had to learn incredible patience this transfer, but it has really shaped who I am.

 
Sister Devreis and me at the Reagan Library

Besides that, it has been another great week here in Simi! I am so sorry that this will be a very short letter, and that I am really scatterbrained today, but I will give you a little summary of the week. 

One wonderful person we met was named V. We had a really strong prompting to go talk to her. At first she answered the door and she had some questions about polygamy. We were able to explain how we don't even practice that, and tell her more about the Book of Mormon. She was shocked and she ended up inviting us in! She was really sweet and she just kept telling us "you two are so nice, so wholesome!" She told us that she was really excited to read the Book of Mormon for herself. 

This time I got to see Sister Ray from Agoura Hills
at the Reagan Presidential Library!
(Last time we got to see her husband.)

We also had a great lesson with a less-active T. We taught her the Plan of Salvation. It has been really long since she has been at church, so many of these concepts seemed new to her. She is letting us continue to come over to teach her, and she also signed up to take us out to dinner tomorrow night! 

Our district went on a brutal hike last P-day.
From front to back: Elder Cheadle, Elder Crapo, Hermana Cannon,
Hermana Faletau, Elder Jones, Elder Trujillo, Hermana Player,
Hermana Shepherd, Elder Eagan, Me, Sister De Vries, and Elder Eggleston

We also had a great lesson with a young less-active couple. Last time Sister Proctor and I went over there it was just really sad. They have fallen so far, and they are now just really confused. We brought a member with us to that meeting and he was such a huge help. He is really smart and understanding about so many things that they have questions about. 

One of the best things that happened is that we started to teach J and B again! They have had so much to deal with lately, since J's ex-wife's death. They have been able to overcome that and are now back to meeting with us. Sadly, J will be getting surgery soon, so we aren't sure when his baptism will be. He is really excited to be baptized but we will have to wait till he is recovering for us to be able to determine a baptismal date. 

Sister De Vries, Me, Hermana Shepherd, and Hermana Player

And to finish off a great week, we had such a great day Sunday. We had 5 investigators come to church! We're glad to see that they're progressing and look forward to working with all of them.

I am really excited to stay here in Simi. I love this area with all my heart!

Much Much Love,
Sister Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment